Job Opportunity Portal
Log back in
to the Career Portal and click on 'Job Browsing/History' and find the job you're looking for.
2019-127-INT: Senior Imagery Scientist
Intelligence & Defense Solutions
Riverside Research is seeking a full-time senior Imagery Scientist with a focus on an understanding of the atmospheric sciences as applied to supporting and improving remote sensing Geospatial Intelligence (GEOINT) techniques in the Charlottesville, VA area. This position will support the Army National Ground Intelligence Center (NGIC) GEOINT production efforts by tackling tough national security challenges using your sound physics based knowledge and expertise.
You will be working with a team of over 30 Government and contractor GEOINT professionals supporting important operational overseas missions. You will have access to some of the latest imagery science processing tools, techniques, algorithms, high speed computers, software packages, and robust communications. You will be challenged every day to use your advanced science expertise to come up with timely creative new ways to solve national security challenges using GEOINT remote sensing data. You will communicate and collaborate with on-site Army GEOINT and all-source analysts and other Riverside Research GEOINT professionals who are supporting our other GEOINT Government customers in the Intelligence Community (IC) such as those at the U.S. Air Force National Air and Space Intelligence Center (NASIC). You will also perform duties at the Applied Remote Sensing Off Post Laboratory (OPL) Test and Evaluation Group (TEG) in support of field exercises operating GEOINT ground truth signature collection equipment. You will perform quality control and analysis of the collected ground truth data. The mission you will support is demanding, but you will be satisfied knowing that your work is helping to save lives and that the solutions that you provide will also be implemented by your peers and junior analysts at NGIC and potentially throughout the GEOINT community.
• Processes and exploits GEOINT data from remote sensing data sources
• Develops automated atmospheric modeling techniques to convert full-spectrum (VNIR-SWIR-MWIR-LWIR) radiance data to reflectance and emissivity in nadir and off-nadir geometries.
• Provide link between production team and Test and Evaluation Group (TEG) to identify new mission applications for current or near-future sensor systems
• Support TEG activities when required. This includes performing lab measurements, field measurements, test planning, sensor check-outs, and algorithm/sensor trouble-shooting
• Develops processes to model laboratory data to at-sensor altitude and conditions and perform initial mission viability testing using this laboratory collected data. Testing may require converting raw DN data to radiance and to reflectance or emissivity as well as developing sensor-specific code to calibrate lab sensor data.
• Perform statistical measures of data and results.
• Lead NARS team training for the math and science of atmospheric models, spectral matching algorithms, and process observables
• Identify process flows that can be automated or improved; document and implement process improvement code, typically Python, IDL, Matlab, C++ and C
• Modify and maintain legacy production software code
• Identify new or enhanced matching algorithms and processes. Test on previously collected data and provide test results to government customer
• Perform modeling and simulation support for Overhead Persistent Infrared (OPIR) sensors when required
• Applies imagery science and remote sensing production and development solutions to meet timely intelligence requirements
• Quality controls and analyses collected GEOINT ground truth signature data
• Assists in analysis, production, product timelines, and workflow.
• Develops creative new tactics, techniques, and procedures to solve national security challenges that face our Outside the Continental United States (OCONUS) warfighter customers.
• Assists in posting and disseminating product applications to the warfighter and other customers
• Submits verified signatures to a national signature database
• Prepares and delivers technical GEOINT papers and presentations for community-sponsored GEOINT symposiums, meetings, working groups, and collection exercises
• Provide guidance to junior and mid-level GEOINT analysts
• Occasionally assists Riverside Research corporate requirements for acquiring new customers with GEOINT subject matter expertise
• Other duties as assigned.
• Security Clearance – Collateral clearance with Eligibility to obtain Top Secret/SCI
• Upon accepting the position, willingness to take a counter-intelligence (CI) polygraph
• Education: Master of Science degree in any of the following fields of study; remote sensing, chemistry, physics, geology, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, environmental science, geography and agricultural sciences. Note; in special cases at the discretion of the appropriate Government representative, commiserate experience will be accepted in lieu of educational requirements.
• Strong language coding skills in Python
• Years’ Experience: minimum of 15 years
• Experience working in or with the Intelligence Community (IC): minimum of 4 years
• Obtain GEOINT Professional Certifications in Fundamentals (GPC-F) qualification within 6 months of accepting the position and obtain one of either of the GPC-PL2 Imagery Scientist (IS), Imagery Analyst (IA), or GEOINT Analyst (GA) certifications within 1-year of accepting the position.
• Comprehensive understanding of the phenomenology associated with the atmospheric sciences
• Strong communications ability
• Ability to work and collaborate in a dynamic team environment
• PhD in related scientific field of study
• Language coding skills in other languages (besides the above required Python) such as IDL, Matlab, C++, or C
• Course(s) in advanced analytic thinking
Riverside Research strives to be one of America’s premier providers of independent, trusted technical and scientific expertise. As we continue to add experienced, technically astute staff, we are looking for highly motivated, talented team members that can help our DoD and Intelligence Community (IC) customers continue delivery of world class programs. As a not-for-profit, technology-oriented Defense Company, we believe service to customers and support of our staff is our mission. Our goal is to serve as a destination company by providing an industry-leading, positive, and rewarding employee experience for all who join us. We aspire to be a valued partner to our customers and to earn their trust through our unwavering commitment to achieve timely, innovative, cost-effective and mission-focused solutions.
All positions at Riverside Research are subject to background investigations. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation including criminal history and identity check.
This contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-741.5(a). This regulation prohibits discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of disability, and requires affirmative action by covered prime contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified individuals with disabilities.
This contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-300.5(a). This regulation prohibits discrimination against qualified protected veterans, and requires affirmative action by covered contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified protected veterans.